Let me share with you my moment of stupidity. A few days ago, I was invited by the Department of Health (DOH) to attend the “Parangal sa mga Kuwentong Pangkalasugan” (PKKP) Health Media Recognition Awards ceremony. Ridiculous as it sounds, I actually misunderstood the notification sent to me online – and I had absolutely no idea that I was already a winner.
Yep, that’s me at the DOH Health Media Awards Ceremony, clueless, as usual.
Accepting my plaque and PhP20,000 cash prize from Dr. Ivanhoe Escartin, Director of the National Center for Health Promotion, and DOH Undersecretary Dr. Enrique Tayag. You can’t see it in the photo, but I was in dire need of a beta blocker!
With more than 100 entries in the running, I had zero expectations. That’s why I found it hard to believe when my health blog has been conferred by the DOH one of only two awards for blogging about universal health!
Congratulations to the other recipients of the PKKP Health Media Recognition Awards conferred by the DOH! But before I mention the other recipients of the PKKP Media Awards, let me give you a short backgrounder.
DOH Holds PKKP Health Media 2013 Awards
Yesterday, the Department of Health honored ten different stories on universal health care from around the Philippines. Winners were selected for each of five different categories. The five different awards categories are as follows:
Out of 114 entries, 22 were shortlisted during the preliminary deliberation. Of these, the judges selected entries who were awarded a PKKP Health Media Recognition Awards plaque from the Department of Health and a cash prize of PhP20,000 each.
The committee for preliminary deliberation was composed of the following, belonging to either the health or media sector:
- Tony Roda (National Center for Health Promotion of the Department of Health)
- Rom Dongeto (Philippine Legislator’s Committee on Population and Development)
- Diana Mendoza (Print Journalist)
- Johanna Son (Inter Press Service Asia Pacific)
- Booma Cruz (Broadcast Journalist)
- Ariel Sebellino (Executive Director, Philippine Press Institute)
The team for final deliberation was composed of:
- DOH Undersecretary Janette Garin
- Red Batario (Center for Community Journalism and Development)
- Cheche Lazaro (Probe Media Foundation)
- Dr. Israle Francis Pargas (PhilHealth)
DOH PKKP Media Recognition Awards 2013 Winners
I’ve held back long enough. Drum roll, please. Finally, here are the winners of the DOH Health Media Recognition Awards!
- GMA News TV
- Malu Cadelina
- Claire Delfin, GMA News Online
- Denise Chiu, GMA News Online
- Ma. Theresa Tabada and Cherry Ann Lim
- Sheila Crisostomo (The Philippine Star)
- Alvin Cloyd Dakis
- Stef dela Cruz, MD (Wuh… Hey, that’s me!)
Health blogging is sometimes a thankless, moneyless job. Many bloggers start out as hobbyists, reaping very little appreciation and income. But once in a while, something like this comes along that pushes us a little more, urging us to keep doing what we do.